Sunday, November 8, 2009

Kids These Days...

Happy Sunday night (or Monday morning for most you.) Hope you had a great weekend and if you were in the Jo for the last few days you saw sunshine and some great weather. Me? I was holed up at the c-store fortress making sure that all you weekend warriors were hydrated and well fortified with the tobacco goodness.

With this posting I'd like to talk a little bit about teenagers. Let me preface this post with the fact that I love teenagers. They are awesome and truly are what is going to make our country great for a long time to come. I know composers, writers, dancers and some of the brightest young leaders that, quite frankly, inspire awe. But, just like with adults, there are some that make me wonder if survival of the fittest has gone by the wayside. Let me tell you what I mean.

Example 1: Lack of Friend Judgement
I have a couple of regulars that are 18 year-old twins. Good kids with the exception of their over-active tobacco habit. Or so I thought. One of them came in last week and bought a pack of smokes he'd never bought before. This conversation ensued:
ME: You branching out and smoking something new?
HIM: Nope, they are for a friend that we're going to pick up from lock-up...he gets out tonight.
ME: Lock-Up? How long's he been there and why?
HIM: A couple of weeks. He's been in there for armed robbery, but it's not like he did anything...he just drove the car. He even told thet guys that did the hold-up it was a bad idea.
ME: Oh, well as long as he told them it was a bad idea, that makes it good! Have you lost your damn minds? He participated in an armed robbery.
HIM: (laughing) That's what makes him so cool...he's up for anything.

WTF???? Seriously folks. These kids are from a "good home." I've met their parents in the store. Good jobs, very proud of their kids yet, they don't see ANYTHING wrong with their buddy driving the get away car in an armed robbery. Help us.

Example 2: Private vs. Public school kids
So, I know good kids in private schools, but there is a certain sense of entitlement that I see in these kids. The store is close to BVNW and I can tell you that the kids coming in from that school are great kids. Very polite and actually handle their money well for the most part. Their football players are great kids, as are all their athletes. I also work close to another high school...a private school...that I can't say the same about. They are rude, they throw their money around like it was nothing and generally make me cringe when they come in. One of these kids came in on Saturday night that really drove home the point.

He comes in, dressed and acting like he was Edward from the Twilight movies/books come to life. Same almost hair-lip, same f'd up hair and same pale-i-need-a-pie style in his private school sweatshirt. He was with three friends, two guys and a girl, and decided he wanted to "sample" our slushies. Now, I'm not opposed to a taste to see if you like something before you buy it, but a taste isn't 3/4 of a glass. So, Edward fills up the glass and proceeds to wander around the store drinking the slushie...going so far as to beat on the bottom of the cup to get the last bit out before declaring that he didn't like it and wasn't going to get one. Tough shit kiddo, you just filled a glass and drank it...you're paying for it. So he heads for the door with his "posse" in tow and I can't help but interject...

ME: Excuse me? I need you to pay for your slushie.
EDWARD: Oh, you're mistaken ma'am. I didn't get a slushie...I just tasted it and when I didn't like it decided that I wouldn't get one.
ME: No, a taste is one drink. You had 3/4 a glass and walked around with it for five minutes. That is a full drink and you need to pay for it.
EDWARD: Ma'am, you're mistaken (holding up hands) if I had gotten a slushie, I would be carrying it now wouldn't I? I know something like this is hard for you to understand since you work in a c-store at your age. Let me say it for you very slowly...I Didn't Get A Slushie. I'm a good Christian and I don't steal.
ME: Well, let me say this so you can understand it. I watched you drink the slush. It is on our survelience camera. You owe us for the drink. I don't care what your religion is.
EDWARD: So you expect me to pay? (to his friends) This is ridculous...I don't know who this woman thinks she is to make me pay.
ME: Yes, I expect you to pay. It's $1.07.

Then Edward snarls at me, turns to the girl with them and SNAPS HIS FINGERS as he walks out the door. The girl dutifully walks up to the counter and pays for his drink. I told her to make sure he pays her back. Her answer:

"Oh, it's okay. It's worth the $1 just to be able to hang around him. I was shocked when he said I could tag along tonight!"

I really can't add anything to that. Ugh.

Example 3: You left the house in that?
I know that you're teenagers, but really? I learned this year that the Halloween costume of choice for the teen crowd was Slutty "insert character." I saw slutty witches, slutty nurses, slutty cheerleaders, slutty maids and even a slutty ladybug. And when I say slutty folks, I don't just mean a too short skirt. I mean 15-year-old girls in thigh highs and micro-mini skirts where you could see the bottom of their ass. Do they have parents? Do they have mirrors? If you're still in high-school, you shouldn't be wearing thigh-highs.

The girls tonight were super special. These two girls came into the store in identical outfits that can only be described as whores on parade. No bras. No panties. Trust me, the "dresses" that they had on were white and looked like long tank-tops with a ruffle on the bottom. They were also thin enought that you could tell with little effort that they had forgotten the underwear. I had an older guy in the store that I thought was going to have heart failure just looking at them. He left the store and the girls started talking about him and how he had a BMW.

Evidently old is okay if they can get something from it. I know this because the statement I overheard was this:

"I know he's old enought to be my grandpa, but I bet all I'd have to do is bend over and let him see me and I'd get him to buy us beer."

Now, I know that we tried to get "older" guys to buy us beer when we were 18. But by older I mean 25 and we just tried to look cute. I can honestly say that the thought of flashing my vagina for a 6-pack never crossed my mind.

Now, you may be saying to yourself, "Clerk-K, you're just pulling out these stories to get a laugh...most kids aren't like this." And you are right. The majority of kids aren't like this (see opening paragraph) but there are enought that these situations are more like 1 in 10 or 20 customers and not 1 in 10,000. Bottom line, bad judgetment and bad behaviour is rampant among the teen crowd and honestly, based on the behaviour of adults in my store I can't say i'm surprised.


copyright 2009 KJE Communications

2 comments:

  1. Having gone to a private school as well as teach at one now, I can tell you that the sense of entitlement isn't necessarily a "private school" attitude but something that is cultivated early on through parenting. Unfortunately, parents who have that "entitlement" attitude that they pass on to their children also have a tendency to send their kids to private school. I'm so glad I teach little kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No comment on public vs. private schooling. A jerk is a jerk and you're right, it most often starts at home. Damn. And I said I had no comment. All I really wanted to give you a "Best Use of Slutty Ladybug" in a blog high-five.

    ReplyDelete